Friday, January 11, 2013

Warning: This is a little bit heavy

It's friday.

As I type this, my eyes feel pretty droopy. It's been a long week, and, as a result of my flu episode at the end of last week, I haven't had any coffee. At all.

Being back at school is enough to make it feel like a long, long (but good!) week, but, on top of that, this week has also involved a trip to the hospital every day. Thankfully, I think that the one this afternoon was the last one for the week and I'll be able to enjoy a quieter Saturday and Sunday. Or a Saturday and Sunday of trying to get caught up. Either will be good for my mental health, so I'm not too worried.

Any of you whom I haven't talked to this week might be wondering exactly why I am spending so much time at the hospital, especially when I'm obviously healthy enough to be teaching.

To be honest, I haven't been quite sure how to break it to you. Also, I just haven't had the energy to do so. But, after a good doctors visit today to finish off the week, it seems like it's just time. So here we go.

After my surgery in November (see Thanks for an explanation if you missed it), my surgeon sent my intestine and appendix in for a biopsy. This is standard procedure and they weren't too worried about it.

On Monday, I got a phone call, text, and e-mail from my surgeon saying he had my biopsy results and I needed to get in to see him that afternoon. Needless to say, I was a little freaked out, but I managed to teach the rest of the day and was able to get a ride with to the hospital with a dedicated (and appreciated!) group of friends.

My biopsy results for the intestine were exactly as expected. It was just an internal hernia. But my appendix, which was only taken out because it was inflamed but had no part in causing the initial surgery, came back with somewhat surprising results. It turns out that I had cancer in my appendix all the way up to where it attaches to my large intestine. Since that meeting, I have had tests to make sure that it has not spread to any other organs, and it has not.

This particular type of cancer is not aggressive and doesn't usually show up until it's discovered in another procedure. In my case, it was a blessing that they found it because of this random unrelated surgery and we will be able to take care of it quickly with another surgery. God is good.

There are still decisions to be made, and another surgery very similar to my last one is in the relatively near future. I feel great, although this week has worn me out quite a bit.

But that is mostly because I finally got to teach full days on Monday, Thursday, and Friday! It was so wonderful to be back with my precious people for the first time in almost two months! We sang, we danced, and by we, I mean me... but that's ok. I'm looking forward to being able to be with them again all next week. Such a good life. :-)

Again, I'm thankful for all the support and prayers. I'm behind on correspondence right now, but feel free to e-mail or message me if you have questions, and I promise I'll get back to you eventually. 

1 comment:

  1. Praise God for the little things. His timing is always PERFECT :) You will continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete