Tuesday, November 6, 2012

So this is a topic I'd normally avoid...

I grew up believing that Christians belonged to one political party and that it was my job to pray for everyone who belonged to the other party. I'm my exactly sure where this came from, probably some random interpretation of my parents' political preference mixed with my concrete-thinker's sense of right and wrong. To clarify, it was not explicitly taught to me.

When I was 14, I wrote a report on a First Lady and developed what was probably my first woman crush. The only problem? Well, there were two. One was that she was dead and two was that she was from the "wrong" political party. I was forced to start thinking about why I believed what I did, what it means to be a Christian, and what that meant for my future as a citizen of this country.

Over the years, my thinking had changed. I've thought and prayed about authorities and what they should do and how to choose good ones. Do I have all the answers? Absolutely not. So that's a thing.

Anyway. Today is/was Election Day. The president was reelected. Is he perfect? Nope, not in the slightest. Would the other option have been more perfect? Meh.

A new or old president isn't going to fix the world. There is no perfectly right or wrong man or woman to lead this country.

Today I was talking with some co-workers about who they would have voted for (ok, the truth comes out, I never got around to getting an absentee ballot). We didn't all agree, but I think we could agree to see each others points and respect each others educated decisions. This was a far cry from the tumultuous divisions on my floor four years ago. In my opinion, that's progress.

Here's praying for wisdom, humility, and sensibility for the next four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment