I went to the market downtown this morning. So many things! Nearly every fruit and vegetable imaginable (except, of course, all the ones normally grown in Northern Michigan - apples, cherries, peaches, pears, asparagus, etc)! Liver, tongue, stomach, fish, shrimp, and other random slabs of meat just hanging around, waiting to be chunked up and sent home. Flowers and freshly prepared food, cheese and eggs, and even random juices that were ladled into bags and tied around a straw. All packed under a covering of tarps that were not QUITE tall enough for this American girl.
It was so visually stimulating! Everything was exciting and new (even though most of the food was more or less familiar) and everyone was speaking in a language that I understand to a point, but isn't MY language.
And, even though it was so good, I felt a tad bit overwhelmed and worn out.
I've been reading through my students' writing. I'm loving the chance to get to know them a little better, but I'd be lying if I wasn't at least a little daunted by the challenge a lot of their writing presents. They've got great content and ideas, but the mechanics of English verbs and prepositions need some work.
And then I remember, it's only the first week. There's been so much going on, they're moving into new building and a completely new system of changing classes and they're learning and speaking and writing in a language that isn't THEIR language. And I felt overstimulated?
Oh, my brave, creative, funny, intelligent babies.
I really think they're great.
No comments:
Post a Comment