Tuesday, February 18, 2014

On Starting Forever

I've been spending a little more time recently thinking about forever. It's mostly exciting stuff, although, there have definitely been challenges, and I'm sure there are more to come.
I think I used to think that forever was something that starts at some point in the future. Eventually I will grow-up and forever will stretch out. Eventually I will fall in love for forever. Eventually. 

Recently, I've been thinking more about the starting point for forever. Does the forever part of a relationship start with a wedding? With a declaration of best friendship? With some kind of extra commitment? 

What about the parts leading up to that point? Does the engagement period count as part of forever? The first dates? The initial coffee, or realization that you might want to spend more time with someone? 

The more I think about it, the more I realize that forever isn't just a thought of the future. It's already happening. Each day I spend with the people I love is part of my forever with them. Each facebook chat or phone call home is part of the forever. Each day of planning and anticipation... it's all a part of the forever. 

It's hard for me to think of forever without thinking of eternity. Obviously, that's more permanent than any earthly forever. Still, I seem to have the same problem. I think of it as something that will start... someday. I don't really spend a lot of time considering the part of forever that is in the relationship I'm developing now. 

Forever to get to know each other better. Forever to grow. Forever to learn. Forever. Starting now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment