My students pretty frequently ask me for words. Considering that they only use English at school, I usually indulge them if they can explain the concept to me in English. This almost always leads to pretty tame, uneventful conversations like
"Mees, what is the word that means you want all the things of the other person?"
"um... jealousy?"
"No mees, it is not yealous. The other one."
"Umm... um.... envy?"
"Jes mees, it is envy."
Perfect. Phew. That was a close one.
But today I get this lovely gem.
"Mees, I need you to help me with a word."
"Ok, can you describe it in English?"
"Will you get mad?"
"Um, not if it's school appropriate."
"You will not get mad?"
At this point I'm nervous, but also quite curious.
"No."
"Ok. What is the word that means a really big fart?"
...
...
They have a separate word for that? Like, fluperart? maxifart? gigantifart? It's it's own word? I should have asked. Because now, I don't really know how to look up "really big fart" in a spanish dictionary. Sometimes second language skills are hard.
"Um, I would probably say a really big fart. Or maybe, a disgustingly dreadful fuming fart."
"eye roll. Mees. That is not how you would say it. And why do you talk about farts?"
Um... because you asked. And because I can, I guess.
Speaking of sweet scents, this morning I got the most perfect rose I've ever seen. Not one of those grocery store/nice flower shop if you know someone who got time for that roses, but the kind that grow in the garden and bloom and smell the same no matter what country you're in. The kind that smell like my mom. The kind that make me miss her and almost cry.
This afternoon, I was tagged in a photo that contained my first hashtag. And, yes, I am proud. Like, took a screenshot and showed it to more people than I care to admit proud. Like I say to my kids... "whatever, I'm 23. Judge away." (and they do... so you're welcome to too)
I think there have been a lot of times recently when I've vocalized the feeling of not fitting in. I say I'm having a hard time feeling like myself here. I have complained about my job.
But thinking back on the events of today and this week... this is part of me too. The farts, flowers, and facebook hashtagging excitement... that's me.
It might sound silly, but it's really reassuring to remember that I still exist.
No comments:
Post a Comment