Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Coming "home"

I have officially been done with school for a week. I've thought about writing a blog post to wrap things up, but between packing up and leaving Honduras, spending almost two days traveling, spending another two days at my parents' house, and starting work today... I just haven't gotten around to it.

Well, that's one excuse. I guess the other would be that I haven't quite figured out what to say. But, as I tell my kids, sometimes when everything is tangled up inside you and you're not sure how you feel or how to express it, writing is a good way to get things out of your head and into the outside world so you can start to make sense of things.

So here we go.

I think one of the most confusing things about being back and being done with everything is figuring out how I even feel. I KNOW that my family is being nice to me by listening to all my stories even  when they're not asked for and that no one REALLY wants their question "How was Honduras?" in more than an hour. They're expecting one or two sentence response. Thank you Laura for providing me with a new default... "Honduras was great. I had awesome but challenging kids in my classes and I got cancer. What else do you want to know?"

Except that feels so horribly trivial and almost untrue. I mean, yes... but also no. It was good, but also hard. I worked all the time, but I also met some really great people. I had cancer... but I also got scuba certified and taught for almost 8 months. Yes, I ate some American food (HAMBURGERS!), but I also ate at my favorite little tipico restaurant almost weekly.

Am I happy to be back? Certainly. I missed Taco Bell. And my family. And a lot of other things.

Am I excited to go back? I think I will be, although I'm not used to being here.

And there's just the issue of home. I packed up my home to come home, and then from my home I went to my home and now I'm back at my home, although, I'm going home again this weekend. But, I'm excited because my room at home is getting painted this summer and I'm anxious to see it in August.

It's confusing. But that is maybe the best summary of how I feel right now. I'm glad to be home, but I've enjoyed my time at my other home. It hasn't been one big vacation, and it hasn't always been  easy. But home and life never is, I guess. Adjusting back... that's a whole other story.

No comments:

Post a Comment