Sunday, April 7, 2013

Today in church I kept on thinking about how I never got to say goodbye to my belly button.

One day everything hurt, and then I went to the hospital, and it hasn't looked the same since.

I know it's been approximately two months since my last surgery and many more months since that day in November.

I read a book, "The Fault in our Stars," this weekend. And there's a lot of cancer in it. A lot. And there was a lot of cancer on the last Grey's Anatomy that I watched. And another teacher who goes to my church spent time in the hospital last week because her feet got burned when she walked on hot sand.

And that just happens, I guess. Bad things just happen.

It's a little terrifying, living in a world where one day you have one belly button and the next you have a scar. But it just happens. And it could have been so much worse.

That's the hardest part, I guess. Knowing that it could have been so much worse, and for so many people, it is. Knowing that your body can attack you... that cancer cells are still your cells. Knowing that you can think you're so fine, and you're just not, and that you don't always get to say goodbye.


No comments:

Post a Comment